Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tips For Brainstorming


Photo by Martha Ramirez



Okay, so I am applying revisions, taking two classes (which BTW are awesome! How to Hook Readers and Wheel Them In by Lynnette Labelle
--Microsoft Word for Writers by Catherine Chant ) and trying to balance every day life.


I have also recently brainstormed for my next YA project. As I am doing this, I remember how awful I am at brainstorming alone.

So I rely on my awesome cps for help.

THANK YOU GUYS!!


Whoever said writing was easy was either in denial or simply didn't put in the effort that is required.


Writing is work. Lots of work.


But loads of fun. Don't get me wrong.


So back to brainstorming. I think I can consider brainstorming (alone) is my least favorite thing to do. HOWEVER, brainstorming with buddies is a whole different story.

So my question to you is: What's your favorite part about writing and why?


And: What's your least favorite and how do you overcome it?


In the meantime here are some links to brainstorming tips.


Blake Snyder: Tips for Brainstorming — or Why I Don’t Believe in Writer’s Block


Techniques to Help You Create New Fiction Story Ideas

5 Brainstorming Tips to Banish Writer’s Block


5 Brainstorming Tips for Manuscripts

14 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

Those are great links--thanks! :)

Eldheni said...

The best part of writing, for me, is seeing the story come alive on the page. Bringing out those characters who have been hounding my every thought (sleeping or awake) and getting to know them more intimately than you can know any living being, and coming along for the adventure as they answer the call of destiny.
It is an amazing gift we, as writers, are blessed with.
The hardest part? Technically speaking, keeping my word count under control. But truthfully, the hardest is just getting 'real life' to get out of the way and LET me write! :)

BTW...I adore brainstorming. Some o the best moments come from sources, and moments, when you least expect them.

Ambrielle Kirk said...

Awesome links, and just in the nick of time ;)

christine warner said...

My favorite part about writing is coming up with my characters and making them 3D...giving them flaws and real lives and feelings, conflicts and...well everything!

My least favorite part is how long it takes me to get it all down...lol. I do an outline and then outline chapters as I go, usually about 3 to 4 chapters ahead, but I also have this naughty of habit of editing while I write. So it seems to take me awhiel to get a completed ms, but of course by the time I'm done, it's completed and usually pretty polished...so there is pros and cons I guess. I just wish I could write non stop and complete the whole thing, then go back and edit... :)

Great post...:)

Brenda said...

My fav part of writing is when my characters become alive--too me and hopefully to readers. Also, I love brainstorming, but for the bulk of my brainstorming, I need to do it alone. I guess deep down I know how the story will go, but it just hasn't risen to the surface yet. Although, I love helping others brainstorm.

Martha Ramirez said...

Angela--Thank you!

Eldheni--yes, I agree writers are truly blessed! And yes real life tends to always get in the way. I hear ya. You sound like an excellent brainstormer:)

Welcome, Ambrielle:) Hope they help!

Christine--yes--Fun fun fun
And yes, it does take quite a bit longer if you edit as you go. I know what you mean.

martzbookz@sbcglobal.net said...

Brenda- That is so awesome you do well brainstorming alone!I find I get stuck more when I try coming up with ideas alone when starting new projects. Not sure why.

D'Ann said...

My fave part? The characters, and naming them.

Least fave?

GMC. I stink at it.

Martha Ramirez said...

D'Ann--GMC is hard work that's for sure. I think sometimes great stories have GMCs without even trying. They just naturally come up.

YOu do not stink!:)

Sheri Fredricks said...

Hi Mart ~ My favorite part of writing is the actual writing, especially when I'm in the zone and right THERE with my characters as it's happening.

The least favorite? Getting the dialogue just right.

You shared some great links! Thanks, I'll be checking those out for sure.

Martha Ramirez said...

Thank you, Sheri! Yeah, I love it when you get in the zone and off in writeingland :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great links. I've been revising for a long time and I have to say I enjoy it. The blank page sounds a little scary right now.

Victoria Adams said...

My favourite part let's the story flow out of my fingers onto my laptop

least favourite - edits!! But we won't discuss that. ;-)

Martha Ramirez said...

Natalie--Yes, blank pages can be a little scary:)

Victoria- Lol!