Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Inspiration ~ Do NOT Compare

  

 

Such a small word with so many definitions, depending on who you ask. 

 

And so many synonyms.

 

i.e. accomplishment, achievement, happiness, prosperity, triumph, victory--the list goes on and on.


But what really defines success? Is it based on emotion? The way we view the world?

 

Elana Johnson shares an excellent blog post HERE Why We Don't Compare Ourselves.

 

So many people fall into the trap of comparing and tend to forget the whole point in trying to achieve that goal. I mean, wouldn't you agree the sole reason to achieve that goal (most of the time) is because we had passion for it in the first place? 

 

At some point in time, we became ambitious and a seedling of passion rooted within our hearts. 

 

It shouldn't matter what the other person is doing or achieving for we all have different paths to take and work at different speeds. It's one of those beautiful things in life. No two people are alike. Not even identical twins.


Please don't let comparisons take that passion, that happiness, that gratitude away from you.

 

A few weeks back I came across a video *see below* from a very awesome person who is full of inspiration and love. A person who I admire for who she is and the light she brings to all.

 

This girl is top notch successful and she still finds the time to reach out to people (which is another future blog post I will be addressing later). 

 

She was on the first season of The Apprentice and is the co-founder of The Campins Company, a premier real estate brokerage firm. And she has also been working on a book. It has been a big blessing that I have gotten to know her. 

 

And that person is the fabulous, yet modest, Katrina Campins

 

"Don't focus on your competition. Focus on yourself."

  "Never give up. Have confidence."


How about you? What do YOU define success as?

"Do not compare. For everyone has their own path." ~Martha Ramirez


15 comments:

Daryl Devoré said...

Awesome post, Mart. I compare myself all the time to other writers and then I get depressed and think I'm not that good nor will I ever be.
But when I get like that - you always send a happy email and that cheers me up.

Unknown said...

I am also guilty of comparing myself to other writers. I'll have to bookmark this post to remind myself not to.

Mart Ramirez said...

@Daryl AWWWWWWWWW!!!
@Victoria--I'd say 90% of the population does this.

Sheri Fredricks said...

Perhaps comparing ourselves to others is how we gauge our personal success. Comparison can work as motivation, when used the right way. Destructive when abused. Though I wish my thighs were thinner, my writing tighter, and my house cleaner...I'm happy with who I am. What a nice post. Thank you, Mart.

Mart Ramirez said...

@sheri YUP it can def be used for motivation. LOL LOVE your wish! True. True.

Brenda said...

What a wonderful post. And oh boy, do I ever compare myself to others. It bothers me that I do.
I compare my writing to others and then feel like I'm just kidding myself and I'm not a real writer. I get depressed because some writers seem to be able to pump out story after story, but I struggle to get one a year finished.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I saw Elana's post too. Both of you are so right. Thanks for reminding us because we all do fall into the comparing game at times even though we know we shouldn't.

Unknown said...

Wow. Excellent post. It took a long time for me to admit I was a writer even after I was published. I didn't think I matched up to other writers. Just recently I accepted that I want to be a successful writer. This was just what I need to hear. Thanks.

Mart Ramirez said...

@Brenda its[' all about being good not fast. And you're GOOD!

@Natalie Elana always has great posts. I've been wanting to write this one and been putting it off. Her post inspired the trigger.

@Susan Acceptance is the first step! Awesome! So great to hear you enjoyed the post.

Thank you for stopping by!

Stina said...

This is a brilliant post and so true. If all you're doing is comparing yourself to what others are doing, you're doing XX for the wrong reason. You don't have the passion enough to keep going against all odds. And everyone's path to success is different, as is their definition of success. It's impossible to compare success when A does not equal B.

Mart Ramirez said...

Well said, Stina!

Anonymous said...

Great post. Everyone must absolutely take their own path.

Angela Ackerman said...

I think where we get caught up in success is when we pin an 'end moment or goal' as the focal point of success. A book on the NYT list. A Movie Deal. A marriage. The perfect family.

Creating absolutes also means the red flashing light of feeling like a failure if things take the scenic route, you know? I think instead success is more about growing, learning and working toward something. Having goals and striving for them--this is success, not achieving them. :)

Mart Ramirez said...

@Ella, that's right. Thank you!
@Angela- growing, learning and working--Having goals and striving for them-AMEN!

Melissa Limoges said...

Amen, sister! Fantastic post, Mart. Definitely needed this bit of inspiration. :)