Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Interview with Phannary Pen ~ NPC Figure competitor



Phannary Pen



Let me introduce my husband's co-instructor at the valley's premier cardio kickboxing studio at The Fit Factory.

She is also one of the area's top contenders of Fitness and Figure competitions who recently placed 2nd at the NPC (National Physique Committee) USA Championships.

Her latest super feature in Muscle & Fitness Hers (Nov/Dec 2011 issue) has definitely put Modesto on the competitive F&F map.

Don't forget to get your copy today. Lots of great tips!


Hi P!
Would you mind sharing a little bit about yourself, and how you got in to training?


--I've always had an interest in sports and fitness as early as 12 years old.

My main focus being basketball at the time, but injuries and surgeries over the course of a 3 years has brought my focus to where I am now: Figure competitions. I needed something more controlled, yet still having a lot skill and training involved.


Preparing for a show takes a whole lot of discipline and dedication.

Are there any tips you'd like to share that have helped you stay focused? How are you preparing for your next show in Florida?


--Things start getting overwhelming when I start thinking about all the things I need to do and get done. So I start breaking down from months, to weeks, to days.

Puts things in a different perspective and focus. My goals are to stay focused each week versus where I need to be in 16 weeks.

It's worked for me so far, and helps to know that my routine shouldn't vary too much 1 week after the other, and I start finding the rhythm of what days to prepare meals, what time to go to bed, and what makes life just a little easier.


Right now, I'm at my 2 week mark before I head out to FL. Again, breaking it up by the week to days...

I notate the meals I eat, the way I feel about certain foods, (gives me energy, makes me feel more full, etc) and I stay focused on the week that lies ahead. If I know I did what I should've done this week, that's another step closer to what I can control.


What is a typical day for you? Any favorite exercises?


5 am- up and out of bed. Cardio time and then heading to The Fit Factory for weight training Mon, Wed, Friday by 6 am.

Eat breakfast (already prepped from night before) Get dressed and ready for work at Stanislaus County 8 am. Then it's off from work after my 8 hours or so, and to Fit Factory again. I live, eat, breathe this stuff... it's what I love.


I love working on shoulders. Especially when you see the separation of muscles and striations. It's fun stuff.. :)


Any advice to fitness enthusiasts or for those who want to get into (stay in) shape?


You always want to be presentable! You don't necessarily need to be at your ideal weight 365 days out of the year, but vary only a couple up or down. Be conscious of training consistently but don't overwork yourself.

Be patient when it comes to results.

Remember, if you want this to last for the rest of your life, then it's going to take time. What's easy to come, is easy to go.

 

Sticking to a demanding workout schedule and eating right is hard work. What does your diet consist of and how do you stay on track?


It's only more tough when you overthink it. Keep it simple and basic. White meat, Complex carbs, and fiber that will keep you feeling full and not just some processed junk that makes you hungry in less than an hour.

Simplicity is bliss and if you can just develop that mentality, you'll be able to do it.

Most the time, we are able to distinguish what we can or cannot, should or should not have, we don't need a dietitian to tell us. But if you just know you can't have it, then don't. Simple.


Any favorite supplements?


I get all my supplements from the Fit Factory, and they have a great variety.

It's really trial and error when it comes to flavor, but Optimum Nutrition Whey Standard Oreo Cookie and Cream is good, Isoflex Peanut butter, chocolate chip, Nectar any of those for fruity flavors are excellent just to name a few.


Where can we find out more about you?


Follow my fanpage on FB, and make sure you like it! I greatly appreciate all the support and love that its continuing to grow.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, it means a lot to this small town girl. I also have a website that is almost ready but still under construction... www.phannarypen.com Stay in touch!


Thank you, for taking time out of your busy schedule to be with us! Wishing you lots and lots of success. Keep up the good work!

7 comments:

Sheri Fredricks said...

I don't know which was more motivating; the interview or Phannary's pictures.

Best of luck in FL, and with your career! Thanks for bringing something fresh to the blog circuit, Mart!

Brenda said...

Wow!!! What a dedicated, beautiful woman!
Bravo!

Martha Ramirez said...

Thank you so much, Sheri!
Brenda--She truly is. Inside and out:)

Isis Rushdan said...

Great interview. Good luck with the competition. Definitely takes lots of dedication and patience.

Daryl said...

Awesome interview.

Best of luck in Florida.

Angela Ackerman said...

Holy cow. As someone who *ahem* could be in better shape, I so admire people who have the discipline to not only stay incredibly fit but extend that healthy attitude to every aspect of their lives.

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Martha Ramirez said...

Thank you for stopping by, Angela!