Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Welcome author Dianna Benson!



Please welcome my guest, Dianna Benson. It's a pleasure to have you Dianna!

Dianna is not only an awesome writer she is an EMT, a Haz-Mat and FEMA Operative in EMS. I can’t thank her enough for all the invaluable feedback she has given me throughout the years. You rock!

So let's get started here…




How long did it take you to hook an agent when you first started out querying?

The quick answer: It took seven years (2000-2007) from the time I first started querying agents to landing an agent.

In 1993, I started writing my first suspense novel. After completing three novels, I started querying agents in 2000; all of them requested a partial. After I completed my fourth novel, I queried agents again, and this time all of them requested a full after reading a partial. 

After I completed five novels, I signed with my agent in 2007. Six agents offered me representation that spring; it was difficult to turn down the other five since all of them are top-notch agents. In the fall of 2007, a film agent requested a screenplay of The Hidden Son after reading the book. Just days before I completed the script, I learned the film agent suddenly and recently retired due to health issues. I never pursued anything further with the script.




What is the first thing you like to do when planning a new project?

To be honest, opening scenes in all my books just simply develop in my mind and I write them down for future use since I’m always in the midst of writing my current book at any given time. I’m a panster (not a plotter), so when it comes time for me to turn an opening scene I’ve jotted down into a completed novel, I just allow my writer brain free rein. 


Can you share a little of your newest release with us?

The Hidden Son

When U.S. DEA Special Agent Lelisa Desmond refuses to follow an order to bury evidence in a high profile case, her superior hires a hit man to kill her deep in the ocean off Grand Cayman Island. Lelisa survives the first attempt on her life, but someone close to her is mistakenly murdered in her place.

With no one to trust, Lelisa enlists Inspector Alec Dyer for help but learns she's his number one suspect in the scuba diving homicide. She sets off on a daring mission to bring down the man who ordered her execution. A man in a high position, with power friends. A man who will stop at nothing to silence her forever in order to hide his son’s crimes.




Any advice for aspiring writers?

Don’t focus on the “rules” you hear about and ignore any negativity about the publishing industry. Just write from your heart, and God will lead you on the correct path for you and your writing. Every person is different; every writer is different. Find your way. 

Even if you’ve spent years submitting with no offers of agent representation and no publishing contract offers, don’t ever give-up. Always believe in yourself as a writer. Above all, if you love to write, then never stop writing. God gave you a passion to write, so spend time on your passion and enjoy yourself, even if your writing is for your eyes only.

For further advice and information, see the On Writing page on my website.



Where can we find out more about you?

Dianna T. Benson website: www.diannatbenson.com


The Hidden Son is available all over, including these major booksellers:



Thank you so much for being a guest! Wishing you much success, Dianna!

Thank you, Mart, for hosting me on your blog.

Best wishes,
Dianna


Dianna T. Benson




Dianna T. Benson is a 2011 Genesis Winner, a 2011 Genesis double Semi-Finalist, a 2010 Daphne de Maurier Finalist, and a 2007 Golden Palm Finalist. In 2012, she signed a nine-book contract with Ellechor Publishing House. Her first book, The Hidden Son, released in print world-wide March 1, 2013. 


After majoring in communications and a ten-year career as a travel agent, Dianna left the travel industry to earn her EMS degree. An EMT and a Haz-Mat and FEMA Operative since 2005, she loves the adrenaline rush of responding to medical emergencies and helping people in need. Her suspense novels about adventurous characters thrown into tremendous circumstances provide readers with a similar kind of rush.

Dianna lives in North Carolina with her husband and their three athletic children. 






 

8 comments:

Dianna T. Benson said...

Thanks for hosting me, Mart!

Best wishes,
Dianna

Stina said...

I couldn't imagine writing a screen play, only for the agent to retire. But then, I couldn't imagine writing a screen play to begin with. :)

Congrats on your new book, Dianna.

Sheri Fredricks said...

It's fascinating to learn about a writer and her background. Wonderful interview!

Dianna T. Benson said...

Hi Stina,

Thanks for reading and thanks for your congratulations.

Yeah, it was rough when I learned the film agent retired, but knowing she was so ill soothed my frustration. Maybe the sceenplay will be requested later on, and I can then polish it to be even better.

Best of luck with your writing!
Dianna

Dianna T. Benson said...

Thanks, Sheri, for reading my blog post, and thank you for your comment. Absolutely, it sure is amazing how different life is for everyone and how varied the journey is for every writer.

Stacey Brutger said...

I love learning how authors come to be published. What a great story!

Congrats on your new release!

Mark said...

Great post:) It's neat to think that all us writers have day jobs and you never know who may run into on the street...who may be secretly working on that next novel:)

Dianna T. Benson said...

Hi Stacey and Mark. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for your comments and excitement for my new release.

Best wishes always,
Dianna