Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

10 Ways to Make Your New Year Count





It's that time of year again; time to get rid of the old and in with the new. 


Everyone has dreams and goals. At least they should. A fresh new year is a perfect opportunity to sit down and map out your ambitions. Don't forget to dream too while you're at it.

I made up a 2014 Goal and Dream Sheet PDF  for all of you so NO EXCUSES :-)

Remember, be specific. Give yourself a deadline and/or add how often you'd like to incorporate a certain something.

Here are some examples:

Yoga 3xs a week
Write for six hours a day
Finish novel by March 31st
Learn to paint by first day of summer (June 21st)
Reach out to someone who could use some help

Afraid you'll make a mistake?

No worries there's no such thing. But if you're truly worried about it, check out this great article by the amazing Michael Hyatt. A must read: 10 Biggest Goal Setting Mistakes


In the meantime, here are a few could-be goals I came up with and ways to achieve them:


Losing weight/Getting Fit:

Pre plan your meals ahead of time. Cook and fill lunches in Tupperware for the week. Stock up on veggies and fruits and wholesome foods. To veer away from temptation, discard not-so-good munchies from pantry.

Set a timer for 30-40 minutes for cardio. And if your memory is as bad as mine, set an alarm every 2-3 hours to eat. Don't wait until your stomach growls to let you know you're hungry.


Need some help eating clean help?


  • QUICK TIP: Buy new cooking utensils and Tupperware to make preparing meals fun. Trust me, this helps!


Procrastination

Set goals per day. No mental notes allowed. Take the time jot them down even if it's as little as three goals. Three goals are better than none. Use the handy little GOAL SHEET I made up for you. I've included Daily Goal Cards too so all you have to do is write down the day's date. Limit distractions. Unplug that phone, email, etc.



Write More
Get that word count in

The only way you'll get to that finish line is one step at a time. One word at a time. Make daily word count goals. 1-2k a day is a great goal. There's no wrong or right number. Do what's best for you and work at a comfortable pace but whatever you do, try your best to reach your daily goals. And if you don't reach them, don't beat yourself up over it. There will be plenty of days to make up for it. And there will always be days you'll surpass your goal and will be ahead. No worries. JUST. KEEP. WRITING. It doesn't matter how bad the words are. ALL THAT MATTERS IS YOU TRY.

Like Forrester says in one of my all-time favorite movies, Finding Forrester. "No thinking—that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!"

Keep writing!


Exercise without Distractions

Do you get distracted at the gym by that annoying notification alert when an email arrives in your inbox? I admit it. I'm guilty of it too. Resist temptation. Bring an iPod instead and lock up cell phone in locker. Trust me it'll make for a more concentrated training session at the gym. Besides, you deserve it. For the next hour or two it's all about you. YOU time!

I sincerely hope this helps.

HOW ABOUT YOU? WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS? WISHING YOU ALL A HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!! Watch out 2014, here we come!

X Mart



"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
—Walt Disney



"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
—C. S. Lewis



"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work."
―Colin Powell



"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it."
―William Arthur Ward



"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
Eleanor Roosevelt



"If you can dream it, you can do it."

—Walt Disney



"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
—Henry David Thoreau



"Be careful what you set your heart on, for it will surely be yours."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 comments:

quietspirit said...

Mart: Your links don't work. I click on them and get Error 404 message.

Mart Ramirez said...

I just realized that. Please try again and let me know if you were able to open this time around.A friend is triple checking for me right now. Thank you!

Kate Allenton said...

Loved the post :) Thank you for your inspiration ;)

Daryl Devoré said...

My goal this year is to beta your latest book :-)

Mart Ramirez said...

Aw Thank you, Kate and Daryl!!! XO

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting my exact goals (same as last year's :-) along with the inspiring words and wisdom to help me achieve those goals. This is a blessing!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting my exact goals (same as last year's :-) along with the inspiring words and wisdom to help me achieve those goals. This is a blessing!!

Melissa Keir said...

Thank you for sharing the goal ideas. I'm always for more exercising and even joined the gym but time wasn't able to work. :(

Mart Ramirez said...

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, Keisha and Melissa! I appreciate it!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the inspiration. Losing weight and writing more are definitely on my list.

Sheri Fredricks said...

I'm going to think about my goals and desires and write them down throughout the day. Nice job on designing the forms! Thanks for sharing with everyone. Now...off to find Clean Eating recipies!!

Carol Kilgore said...

Great inspiration for the coming year, Mart.

Karen Cioffi said...

Mart, great post and quotes. And, thanks for the links to even more goal setting information.

Mart Ramirez said...

Thank you so much, Natalie, Sheri, Carol, and Karen!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Martha. Great post. Thank you for sharing the 2014 Goal and Dream Sheet pdf. Happy New Year!

Sandy said...

Great post, Mart, but I'm already procrastinating by reading it. lol

Anonymous said...

Color me red faced and blue both. Frustrated because I'm here at the computer instead of working on the house and blue because things are so messy I can['t find a point to call start. But I'm going to shut the computer down-sigh and go get busy or at least try.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great goals! I spent a lot of 2013 decluttering our home. The pantry is next on my list. Walt and I are doing a plank a day and trying to hold it longer and longer each time. :)

For me in 2014 I am focusing on being happy. Sounds silly, but I want to surround myself with people who bring me pleasure. I started the year off right by spending New Year's Eve laughing with friends until my cheeks hurt.

Have a wonderful 2014, Martha!

Mart Ramirez said...

Thank you Susanne, Sandy, CkCrouch, and Sharon!

Hope you got a lot done, CkCrouch.
Sharon, pantry is must for sure! Decluttering is a great goal!YES! YES! YES! On happiness!! Love that your cheeks hurt form laughing.

Happy New Year to ALL of you!! xo