Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

The power of Pitch


Since the Online Muse Conference is coming up, I thought it would be appropriate to do a post on pitching. If you haven't already enrolled for the conference click HERE for more info.
It's an awesome conference put together by the fabulous Lea Schizas. You don't want to miss it!! I can't wait!
Okay, so why must the word PITCH send shivers down our spine? One word.
Rejection.
One ugly, simple word.
So how do you vanish that nervous pang from your gut?
The more you know, the more you'll feel comfortable at pitching. And of course the more you prepare yourself, the more confident you're going to become.
I am not going to lie to you. Those butterflies will still be there. But there's nothing to fear as long as you know you tried your best.
Below are some links to help guide you through pitching. I know, I know, my cps call me the Queen of Links. What can I say? There's a lot of great info out there. I have to share what I find useful. :)
Literary agent, Rachelle Gardner reveals Secrets of a Great pitch HERE
Tips on coming up with a one-sentence hook can be found HERE
As always Camy Tang shares invaluable information on how to get the job done.
Literary agent, Nathan Bransford also shares some awesome tips on one-sentence hooks HERE
Attending a conference soon?
Check out Chuck Sambuchino's blog. Excellent tips on how to pitch at a conference.
Happy pitching and good luck!
Remember, take a deep breath in and give 'em all you got.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for posting this blog with the very helpful links. Pitching is one area I have to admit I haven't studied much. These links will really help me strengthen my pitching arm, lol.
Brenda

Unknown said...

Great post Mart. I just took the CJ Lyons Query Course and we went through the pitch, the blurb, queries and the synopsis.

I learned heaps. It is a science and the pitch will ultimately remain the same but would be taylored for the situation.

Here are the examples from class for my first MS, By Grace Alone.

There is the elevator pitch. Not what the book is about but what they can expect.

Lost love found along the Jersey Shore.

The Premise Pitch- in 25 words or less what your book is about.

His wife left him and their son. Her husband died and she's pregnant. Can these childhood friends and first loves rekindle more than their friendship?


The High Concept Pitch. Using icons or universal images to paint a picture.

The heart of The Notebook meet the family dysfunction of Brothers & Sisters.

Hope this helps!

Unknown said...

This pitch class helped me focus the nuts and bolts of what my MS was about. Pitching isn't just for landing an agent but to help you zero in and define your story.

I think I may have mixed up the definitions of the high concept and elevator pitch, but you guys get the idea.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting all these links in one place. My fingers still tremble when I pitch online. Never done a pitch in person, so I give props to those who have and have gotten through it. Good luck on your pitch, Mart :)

Ambrielle

Mart Ramirez said...

Thank u, Bri!

D'Ann said...

I am going to pitch to an agent in October, and I'm a nervous wreck already. Ugh.

Mart Ramirez said...

I know the feeling, D'Ann. It means ur absolutely normal. :) Hang in there. Good luck!!

AJ said...

Great post, Mart. I think it really depends on the agent. No one pitch fits all IMHO. I think you need to tailor it to who you're sending it too. :-)

Mart Ramirez said...

So VERY true AJ. One size does NOT fit all.

Zee Monodee said...

Very helpful, dear Queen of Links!
Hugs

Karen Cioffi said...

Great post Martha. I know the feeling very well from last year's Muse pitches. I couldn't believe how nervous I was - but I landed a contract, so it was worth the anxiety!

Mart Ramirez said...

Karen, that makes me so happy to hear you got contracted! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out to Seekerville and the amazing Camy Tang!

Camy Tang said...

Thanks so much for linking to my blog post, Martha! I'm glad you found that helpful enough to pass along!
Camy

Mart Ramirez said...

Welcome, Camy and Tina! Love Seekerville an dCamy:)

Sheri Fredricks said...

You're my go-to girl, Mart. The advice and links you've shared with me and all the others are thoughtful and helpful to us all.

Mart Ramirez said...

Aw, thanks, Mikita!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all the links! Have a great day!